Disney has announced the new attractions coming to Walt Disney World in 2024 and beyond. 2025 will see the opening of Universal Epic Universe, so you would think Walt Disney World would be upping its game. Well, you would probably think that, but you will likely be slightly disappointed. There are plenty of promises, but the details and dates are a bit underwhelming.
The announcements were made at Destination 23, where Disney Parks Chairman Josh D’Amaro made a presentation. Destination D23 is where Disney often makes announcements about new attractions coming to its parks, and the details were not just limited to Walt Disney World, with details of new attractions at other Disney Parks also announced.
Still to come in 2023 Walt Disney World.
Before we talk about what is coming next year and beyond at Walt Disney World, there were a few announcements surrounding the remaining part of this year.
- Journey of Water Inspired by Moana now has an official opening date. Previews have already started, but the official date will be October 16, 2023.
- Moana will also start a new meet and greet next to Journey of Water on the same date.
- Soarin’ Over California will return to EPCOT for a limited run starting September 22. I wonder if, after the initial run, they will start offering both films. I always thought the original California film was better.
- World Celebration will open at EPCOT in December. World Celebration opening will mark the completion of the changing of Future World into 3 Neighborhoods: World Celebration, World Discovery, and World Nature. We expect to hear more about World Celebration’s CommuniCore Hall & Plaza, which will soon become the centerpiece for EPCOT festivals.
- Hatbox Ghost will come to the Haunted Mansion starting in late November.
- Figment! is about to start meeting guests at the Imagination! Pavilion. Is it wrong that this is the thing I’m most excited about?
- Luminous the Symphony of Us, the new nighttime show at EPCOT, will debut on December 5th. The show will feature fireworks, fountains, lasers, and lighting effects.
Coming in 2024 to Walt Disney World
The big new attraction coming to Walt Disney World in 2024 is the transformation of Splash Mountain to Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. However, a couple of new additions have also been announced:
New clips will be coming to Star Tours featuring Ahsoka. The new clips will debut during the Spring.
Country Bear Jamboree
Country Bear Jamboree will get an update in 2024. The new show will reinterpret favorite Disney songs in different country music genres.
Unclear when they will be coming to Walt Disney World
The state of several previously announced new attractions e.g., Play Pavilion at EPCOT, remains unclear, but Disney has announced several new additional attractions.
Test Track is to be reimagined, taking inspiration from the former attraction World of Motion. There is no indication of when this will happen or if the postponed update to Spaceship Earth will be back on track.
Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge
A Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge will open in the Magic Kingdom and will expand the ride’s story. However, the most unique aspect of this sounds like a proper bar will actually open in the Magic Kingdom. What would Walt think?
A new Zootopia show is coming to the Tree of Life and will replace It’s Tough to Be a Bug. The 4D show is starting to show its age, so a new show with a more recent theme seems a good idea.
So that sums up what we know is allegedly definitely coming to Walt Disney World, and then that is when things get a little vague.
Reimagined DinoLand U.S.A.
This has already been suggested previously and was thought to be a Zootopia area. However, it seems the plans have now changed. DinoLand will be replaced with a new land themed to the tropical Americas.
Although not yet confirmed, the initial plans are for Encanto to replace Dinorama and Indiana Jones Dinosaur.
Indiana Jones isn’t a big surprise; Disneyland’s Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye uses the same ride system and track as Dinosaur.
Beyond Big Thunder Mountain
A big expansion to the Magic Kingdom featuring possibly Coco, Encanto, and villains has previously been announced. There are no new details, but the expansion is still planned.
Our Thoughts on Coming to Walt Disney World
A lot of announcements but not a lot of detail! However, Josh D’Amaro did have this to say at the end of his presentation:
Over the next decade, we’re going to have more projects underway than at any point in our history. Our sole purpose is to give you more and more of what you love about a Disney experience. And then surprise and delight you with things you never dreamed possible.Josh D’Amaro
I guess we better wait and see! At the moment Epic Universe sounds more exciting.
Visit our Guide to Walt Disney World for the latest Tips and Tricks.