Hollywood Studios was the third park to open at Walt Disney World and has been undergoing massive changes over the last few years. Our guide brings you right up to date with all the latest reopening changes, plus the latest on Toy Story Land, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Remember, even if you have visited Hollywood Studios before, there are many changes to how you plan your vacation in 2021. Our Guide to Hollywood Studios has been updated following the reopening of Walt Disney World and includes all the latest information for 2021.
For 2021 we have split our Guide to Hollywood Studios into 2 parts:-
- Part 1 Essential information if visiting the Hollywood Studios during the reopening of Walt Disney World. This section of the guide contains all the latest tips & tricks, plus information on differences you will encounter during Hollywood Studios’s reopening.
- Part 2 Our regular Guide to Hollywood Studios. We have left for reference our full Guide to Hollywood Studios. This section of the guide includes information on all the attractions at Hollywood Studios. However, not all information is currently relevant, e.g., information on FastPass+. Unless you are familiar with Hollywood Studios, we recommend reading Part 1 of this guide first. When current restrictions end, we will merge both sections of this guide.
If you want to learn more about Walt Disney World in 2021, visit our 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World.
Essential Information when visiting Hollywood Studios during 2021
If you have ever visited Walt Disney World before, you will find the Hollywood Studios experience is different during the reopening opening period. However, this does not mean you can’t have a great time in Hollywood Studios. Some of the changes guests will encounter include:
- Hollywood Studios will be subject to limited capacity.
- Not all attractions will be available.
- You will need to reserve a place to visit the park through the Disney Park Pass reservation system. To access the park your first park each day, you must have a valid ticket and reservation.
- A more limited version of Park Hopping is available after your first park each day.
- FastPass+ is suspended. However, you will need to get a virtual queue reservation to ride Star Wars: Ride of the Resistance.
- Extra Magic Hours isn’t returning in 2021. In its place, Early Theme Park Entry will be introduced later in 2021.
- All Guests ages two and up, and Cast Members, are required to wear face coverings.
- Temperature screening will occur. Any guest with a 100.4 F or above temperature, including their party, will not be allowed entry.
- Physical distancing and limited contact will be in place throughout the park.
- Playgrounds are closed.
- Cashless transactions will be encouraged, including mobile food ordering.
- The majority of experiences and tours have been canceled.
- There will be no character meet and greets.
- Entertainment offerings will have changed.
One thing that hasn’t changed is the need to plan your vacation. There are significant changes in how you plan your time at Hollywood Studios. We will explain the details of these changes further in this guide and how you can still have a fantastic vacation.
Keeping Guests safe at Hollywood Studios
At the moment visiting any theme park is not without some degree of risk to your health. Disney has made clear that “By visiting Walt Disney World Resort you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.”
However, there are 3 guiding principles Disney have introduced to keep guests safe at Hollywood Studios:
- Enhanced Cleaning Cleaning procedures are enhanced throughout Walt Disney World Resort.
- Physical Distancing Temporary adjustments are in place to promote physical distancing.
- Reduced Contact Experiences may be modified in order to reduce contact.
Currently not available at Hollywood Studios
Several changes have been introduced during Hollywood Studios’ reopening and have continued into 2021. During the reopening period, the following have been suspended:
- Single Rider Lines
- Extra Magic Hours(it has been confirmed that this will not be returning)
- Disney Dining Plan
- Character meet and greets
- Fireworks and parades
- The majority of tours and special experiences
It is possible over the course of 2021 some of these experiences will restart.
New Entry Requirements
Face coverings are now required by all guests aged 2 and over at Holywood Studios. The only exception is when actively eating or drinking.
All face coverings should:
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
- Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
- Neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings. Costume masks are also not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn
Temperature screening will be required to enter. Guests who record a temperature of 100.4 F or above will not be allowed entry to Hollywood Studios; those in their party will not be permitted entry either.
Disney Park Pass and Park Hopping
Just turning up at the Hollywood Studios is no longer possible. There is now a new park reservation system to access the park.
Disney Park Pass was introduced during the reopening of Walt Disney World. Park Pass allowed Disney to strictly control the number of guests entering a park each day. Since the reopening period, the number of guests has gradually increased, but Disney Park Pass remains.
To access a park at Walt Disney World, you need to prebook a reservation through the new Disney Park Pass System. To access any park, guests have to present both their park reservation and a valid park ticket. Guests who do not have either of these will be refused entry.
To learn more about the Disney Park Pass System visit our dedicated guide.
A limited Park Hopping option has now been introduced. However, your first park entry each day must be confirmed through a Disney Park Pass Reservation. Guests will be able to enter a second park during Park Hopper Hours. Park Hopping Hours are subject to change, but initially, they will be between 2 pm to close at all parks. Park Hopping will be subject to park capacity, and Disney advises you to check My Disney Experience for the latest information. Currently, guests who access Hollywood Studios through Park Hopping are excluded from joining the Ride of the Resistance virtual line.
Visit our Guide to Park Hopping to learn more.
Hollywood Studios Park Hours during 2021
Park hours usually get released around 6 months in advance. However, they often change as you come closer to the actual date! Unfortunately, hours are currently reduced at Hollywood Studios but have slowly been increasing. Click the link to get all the latest Walt Disney World Park Hours.
Open Attractions at Hollywood Studios
Hollywood Studios is continuously changing, and it is almost inevitable there will be some attraction refurbishments & closures whenever you visit. During the initial reopening of Walt Disney World, you may find more attractions than usual are not open. We expect during 2021, the number of operating attractions will increase. We recommend checking My Disney Experience for the latest information.
Current entertainment options at Hollywood Studios
To maintain physical distancing, there has been a significant reduction in entertainment offerings at Hollywood Studios. Any entertainment that causes the gathering of crowds has currently been postponed, including character meets and the majority of shows.
We expect the entertainment options will increase during 2021, but at the time of writing, the following options are available:
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
- Mickey and Friends Motorcade
- Disney Junior Play and Dance! Motorcade
- Pixar Pals Motorcade
Dining at Hollywood Studios during 2021
In 2021 there are some significant changes to Hollywood Studios Dining arrangements. Not all restaurants are currently open, and capacity is reduced at many locations. Many guests are struggling to obtain Dining Reservations, and we recommend booking early. Also, we recommend making use of mobile ordering at quick-service locations. The restaurants open do change, and you should check My Disney Experience for the latest information.
We run through all the essential information in our 2021 Guide to Disney World Dining.
My Disney Experience is a free online guide to Walt Disney World that allows guests to plan their day at Hollywood Studios. Through this free service you can:
- Keep track of your plans & reservations, including those of your family & friends.
- Make Dining & Ticket Reservations
- Order in advance your food at select Quick Service Locations
- Access maps, wait times, showtimes, park hours, and much more essential information via the app.
- Reserve a pace for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
Walt Disney World encourages all guests to have downloaded the latest version of My Disney Experience on their mobile device before entering Hollywood Studios. Also, they recommend having location services, and notifications enabled.
During the reopening of Hollywood Studios, My Disney Experience will be providing several new enhancements to promote social distancing and reduced contact.
Our Guide to My Disney Experience provides more information including how to get the App.
Riding Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is currently the most popular attraction at Walt Disney World. To ensure as many people as possible can ride Disney has introduced a virtual queue.
The rules of how virtual queue reservations are distributed have changed several times, but the current rules are:
Guests with a valid ticket or Annual Pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to request access to the virtual queue starting at 7:00 AM on the day of their reservation. This can be done before you leave your Disney Resort hotel or on your way to the park. The virtual queue will reopen daily at 1:00 PM for anyone inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day.
Ensure you are logged on to My Disney Experience before these times and be quick reservations go quick! Only Guests with a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to experience Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, and guests who Park Hopping will be excluded.
Make sure you check the latest information before you visit as we suspect it will likely change again.
Other reservations to get in advance
Hollywood Studios is unique, currently requiring several reservations before you attend the park. So if you want to build a droid or lightsaber, you will need a reservation. Make sure you are quick as spots fill up fast.
You need to secure an advance reservation for the following:-
- Oga’s Cantina
- Droid Depot
- Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers
Guests may make reservations for dining and other experiences up to 60 days in advance. Also, Disney Resort hotel Guests can make reservations up to 60 days in advance plus their stay length (up to 10 days). Visit My Disney Experience for further information.
Early Theme Park Entry
It has been confirmed that Extra Magic Hours will not be returning to Hollywood Studios. In its place, Early Theme Park Entry will be introduced later in 2021. Disney Resort hotel guests and guests of other select hotels will be able to gain 30-minute early entry to any theme park every day. Unlike Extra Magic Hours, this will be at all 4 theme parks. We suspect this might provide the best chance of riding Hollywood Studios’ most popular attractions.
To gain access to a park, you will still need a Disney Park Pass. Visit our Guide to Early Theme Park Entry to learn more.
2021 Hollywood Studios Tips & Tricks
Planning your visit to Hollywood Studios is an essential activity, although it can initially feel overwhelming for the first-time visitor. We have created numerous guides here on Modern Life is Good, which provides tips on how to plan the perfect Walt Disney World Vacation.
If you are visiting in 2021 you might find the following guides particularly useful:
- 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World
- Our Top 10 Walt Disney World Tips for 2021 & A Few New Ones
- All-New Walt Disney World Mistakes to Avoid in 2021
- Disney World Park Bag What You Really Need
- Guide to Planning a 2021 Vacation
- Our Number One 2021 Walt Disney World Tip
- 2021 Hollywood Studios Hacks
Free Vacation Planning Sheets
After your initial research, you will want to start putting down your vacation plans in writing. Our Free Walt Disney World Planners are a great resource that can help create a perfect day in Hollywood Studios. While the planning process might seem simpler in 2021, there is still plenty to consider.
We have just redesigned these planners for 2021 and they include:-
- A vacation overview
- A Disney World budgeting planning sheet
- A weekly Walt Disney World planning sheet
- Park Pass Reservation planner
- A dining planner
- Daily planners
Make sure you download this free resource.
- To learn more about Hollywood Studios, visit Part 2 of this guide.
- To learn more about Walt Disney World in 2021, visit our Guide to Walt Disney World
Jump Right Into Our Guide to Hollywood Studios
The following section is our traditional Guide to Hollywood Studios. This section includes details on the lands and attractions at Hollywood Studios. As the picture at Walt Disney World is starting to become more apparent, we have removed elements that will no be relevant in the future. Eventually, we will merge the two sections of this guide. However, you should note that not all experiences mentioned in this section are currently available, e.g., FastPass+ and the majority of shows. When experiences are presently not available, we have indicated this. Make sure you always check My Disney Experience for the latest availability.
- Hollywood Studios The Basics including the history of Hollywood Studios.
- Big Changes at Hollywood Studios just what has been happening at Hollywood Studios in recent years.
- Planning your
v isitto Hollywood Studios all the essential information to plan a great vacation including Fastpass, Rider Switch and the Single Rider Line.
- Hollywood Studios Questions and AnswersDo you have a question about Hollywood Studios? You will probably find the answer here.
- Hollywood Studios Tips & Tricks Our very best Hollywood Studios Hacks.
- Current Hollywood Studios Attractions we have brought our guide right up to date including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. We have details of what you will find in each of the lands and the other park entertainment offerings including the fantastic evening shows.
- Dining at Hollywood Studios All about the fantastic dining options available at Hollywood Studios
- Coming To Hollywood Studios all the news and rumors from the park.
Hollywood Studios Basics
The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.Michael Eisner, May 1, 1989
Dedicated to Show Business, the park opened on the 1 May 1989. Disney launched the theme park in response to Universal Studios opening in Orlando.
The park opened in advance of Universal which did not open its doors until 1990. When the park opened, it initially included a working studio. The studio included 3 sound stages and shot many productions for The Disney Channel including The All-New Mickey Mouse Club featuring a young Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake among others.
At one point, the studio was the home of Disney Animation. Animation hits produced at Hollywood Studios included Mulan, Lilo & Stitch & Brother Bear. Sadly the park no longer consists of a working studio with both the sound stages and animation studio now closed.
Previously the park’s icons have been the Earful Tower & the Sorcerer’s hat, but now the park is without an official icon. Until 2008 the park was officially known as Disney-MGM Studios.
The relationship between Disney & MGM was not always comfortable & Disney was contractually prohibited from using the name in certain markets. When unable to use the name The Disney Studios was commonly used. Hollywood Studios became the official name of the park on January 7, 2008.
10.8 Million guests visited the park in 2015, making it the eighth-most visited theme park in the world. It is anticipated, following the opening of recent new attractions, attendances will rise significantly.
Like all theme parks at Walt Disney World, Hollywood Studios has plenty of interesting statistics and facts. For example, did you know that the park’s original layout featured a large Hidden Mickey, which can only be seen on aerial photographs of the park? Click the link if you want to see more of our
Big Changes at Hollywood Studios
Before discussing the park further, we should highlight that Hollywood Studios has been undergoing massive changes in recent years. Several attractions have closed with exciting new expansions taking their place.
The majority of changes are now complete, but we expect there to be some smaller changes in the next few years. The biggest new additions to Hollywood Studios are:
- Toy Story Land
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
These new additions have meant that Hollywood Studios now attracts enormous crowds. The list of must-do attractions is probably bigger at Hollywood Studios compared to the other Walt Disney World theme parks. Visiting Hollywood Studios probably needs more careful planning than any other Disney World Park, and this guide will help you with that process.
Planning Your Visit to Hollywood Studios
Please read part one of this guide for the latest planning information.
To experience Hollywood Studios, you should spend time planning your experience. While in recent years, the park has become a 1-day affair with recent expansions, it will now take at least 2 days. If you have less time available, you should consider what your must-do attractions are. Expect long waits for all the new attractions at Hollywood Studios.
There are key booking windows to secure dining reservations and make ride reservations at Hollywood Studios. Also, if you want to ride Rise of the Resistance, there are currently special Virtual Lines in place. In this section, we will guide you through all the Essential Hollywood Studios’ knowledge you need to enjoy your vacation.
Hollywood Studios Park Hours
Park hours usually get
Click the link to get all the latest Walt Disney World Park Hours.
Refurbishments & Closures
Walt Disney World is constantly changing and it almost inevitable there will be some refurbishments & closures whenever you visit. This handy guide contains all the current renovations and closures at Hollywood Studios.
FastPass+ at Hollywood Studios
FastPass+ is currently suspended
It is essential you understand the basics of FastPass+ before you visit Hollywood Studios. FastPass+ is Disney’s attraction reservation system and allows you to book attractions in advance of your visit. There are key booking windows to ensure you get the best chance of obtaining the top attractions.
Hollywood Studios attractions are split into tiers which have recently changed frequently.
From March 4th the Tier 1 attractions at Hollywood Studios are:
The attractions in Tier 1 will be:
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
All other attractions are in Tier 2 including Toy Story Mania, Alien Swirling Saucers, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Fantasmic! and more.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance currently does not have FastPass+ available.
Guests are allowed to advance book one option from Tier 1 and two options from Tier 2 each day they visit.
To make sure you ride all your
Are you big enough to ride?
Don’t create a strategy that includes all family members riding to realize too late not all of you can. Many of the Walt Disney World attractions do carry restrictions and these are
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Height Requirement 40 inches.
- Star Tours Height Requirement 40 inches.
- Rock n’ Roller Coaster Height Requirement 48″ inches.
- Slinky Dog Dash 38 inches.
- Alien Swirling Saucers 32 inches.
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run at least 38″.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at least 40″.
In addition, both Star Tours and Tower of Terror and not recommended for infants under 3 years but in our opinion only the bravest under 5s should ride.
However, if the kids are too small to ride it does not mean adults and older siblings can’t. Rider Switch allows guests with small children to take turns riding while another adult stays with the child.
Single Rider Line
Single Rider LInes are currently not operating
Struggling to get a Fastpass for all your top attractions?
The Single Rider Line at Hollywood Studios can be one of the most fabulous time savers. As long as you are happy riding on your own when a gap becomes available, a cast member will fill it with a single rider.
Hollywood Studios is the only park at Walt Disney World, which has two attractions with Single Rider lines. Rock N Roller Coaster and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run both have this facility.
What about crowds at Hollywood Studios?
Want to avoid crowds on your vacation?
Hollywood Studios is usually busy! Currently, Hollywood Studios is incredibly busy.
However, no matter how busy the park is you can still have a great time and even find the odd quiet spot. We have created a Guide to Avoiding Crowds at Walt Disney World which will help you beat the crowds.
Meeting Characters at Hollywood Studios
Currently characters are not greeting visitors
Do you like meeting characters? Then Hollywood Studios might be your favorite park. Characters are abundant at Hollywood Studios, including some you will not find in other parks. Characters may include:
- Stars of Disney Junior
- Star Wars Characters
- Green Army Men
The Park Guide or My Disney Experience App will have all the information on where to meet your
Perhaps one of the best character experiences is Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams. This experience can be found on Commissary Lane. The highlight for many guests is the opportunity to meet Mickey dressed as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice from Fantasia.
Also, try to find the mysterious Character Palooza to meet some rare characters. Cast members will even deny the existence of Character Palooza!
Our Guide to Finding Characters at Walt Disney World has further information.
Sometimes it is difficult to find the answers to all your questions before your visit to Hollywood Studios. We have grouped together a collection of the most common questions for Hollywood Studios in a new section of Modern Life is Good.
Information you can find in this section includes Baby Centers, International Guest Assistance, hiring strollers, visiting with disabilities, and a lot more.
In addition, you might find our Walt Disney World Useful Information Guide has the answer if it isn’t here. This guide has just been updated for 2021.
Make sure you have downloaded the My Disney Experience App before you visit which will help you find services and facilities.
Tips, Tricks & Mistakes To Avoid at Hollywood Studios
Please see part 1 of this guide for the latest planning tips.
Anybody who has ever visited Hollywood Studios will have a list of tips & tricks for a future visit. Here is a selection of ours which we have learned from previous visits.
- Mistakes to Avoid at Hollywood Studios
- Our Top Tips & Tricks to have a great time at Hollywood Studios
- We recently considered What we Love and What we Hate at Hollywood Studios.
Current Attractions at Hollywood Studios
Hollywood Studios has been undergoing massive change, but the majority of the work is now complete. Lands have moved a lot in recent times and perhaps will again at a future date. Currently, there are seven lands/areas in Hollywood Studios.
Hollywood Boulevard is the opening land of the park containing multiple shops and guest services. This is the Main Street USA of Hollywood Studios.
Near the park’s gate is a recreation of the Crossroads of the World tower which when built, in 1936, was considered the first shopping mall in the United States.
At the far end of Hollywood Boulevard is a replica of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre which previously held the Great Movie Ride. The Great Movie Ride closed in 2017 and is the location of the new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway opened in 2020 and will makes guests part of a Mickey Mouse short. It is the first ride to feature Mickey Mouse at any Disney park. Disney has used new technology for the attraction, which offers a 3D experience without the need for glasses. Guests experience unique music, an original story, and an immersive multidimensional “toon” experience.
The area is based on Echo Lake in Los Angeles & includes several attractions.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! is now the oldest attraction in the park but still draws in the crowds. Some of the stunts are very impressive and taken straight from the movies. Currently Closed
- Jedi Training: Trials of The Temple is an audience participation Jedi Knight adventure. In this attraction, Jedi Knights have assembled Force-sensitive children from throughout the galaxy to test their abilities. You must be between 4 and 12 to take part. Find out more here. Currently Closed
- Star Tours – The Adventure Continues is a classic Star Wars attraction that was updated in 2011 & is now an impressive 3D simulator. The movie clips you are shown are randomly selected & updated regularly to reflect the ever-changing Star Wars Universe. Recent updates include highlights from The Rise of Skywalker.
- Mickey Shorts Theater opened during 2020 in the theater that previously held Path of the Jedi. The new show features an original animated short called “Vacation Fun”.
- For The First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration …the title says it all! Great fun for Frozen fans but if you aren’t it is a little tacky.
Grand Avenue is a new area of the park which opened in 2017. It is named after the real area in Los Angeles. There are several areas to eat & drink in Grand Avenue including Modern Life is Good
The BaseLine Tap House is a new pub that serves California brews and wine, accompanied by small plates of food.
Muppet*Vision 3D is the only attraction inside the Grand Avenue area. This 3D movie starring the Muppets was the very last Muppet project by Jim Henson. I love the Muppets and therefore love this attraction. However, if time is tight other guests might want to consider skipping.
You can Celebrate with the Incredibles at Pixar Place! This temporary transformation was expected to close at the end of September 2019 but appears to now be a permanent exhibit. Currently closed; perhaps permanently.
Toy Story Land
Toy Story Land opened in 2018 and is currently one of Orlando’s hottest attractions.
- Toy Story Mania! moved into Toy Story Land from the former Pixar Place and has a new entrance. The ride remains one of Hollywood Studios’ most popular attractions. This 4D attraction allows guests to take part in a selection of classic Midway Games.
- Slinky Dog Dash is a family-friendly coaster themed around Disney Pete’s
favoriteSlinky Dog. Riders of all ages zip around Toy Story Land on this fun coaster. This attraction currently attracts very long waits and Fastpass is recommended.
- Alien Swirling Saucers is a new whip ride. Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree in California Adventure is in a similar format. Guests are immersed with Toy Story Aliens, their Flying Saucers & some rather annoying tunes. Be warned the ride is not very long & can have long waits!
Also, don’t miss Sarge and the Green Army Drum Corps marching through Toy Story Land several times a day. Currently, sarge isn’t appearing
Our Tour of Toy Story Land has further information on what you can expect in this new area. In our opinion, the land looks better at night & you should try and visit after dark.
Sunset Boulevard was the first expansion area at Hollywood Studios opening in 1994.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is a classic Walt Disney World thrill attraction. The tower is the focal point of this region of the park. Guests free-fall drops at speeds of up to 39 mph. The ride is inspired by the television classic The Twilight Zone.
- Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith is a very fast dark indoor looping coaster. The attraction attracts long lines and guests without a Fastpass should consider using the single rider line.
- Beauty & The Beast – Live on Stage is a Broadway-style show based on the popular Disney Classic. Currently closed.
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy allows guests to get face to face with Lightning McQueen & learn from his years of experience on the track.
Animation Courtyard is home to attractions based on Disney Animation. The area has been under a considerable change in recent years including the closure of both the Studio Backlot Tour & The Magic of Disney Animation. This results in the animation theme being lost at the moment. I expect this area to have a further refresh once current confirmed expansions are complete.
- Star Wars Launch Bay is a walkthrough exhibit, and various character meets. If you are a fan of Star Wars, the exhibition will be of great interest, but if you are not there is little to see here. Fans will be thrilled by the opportunity to meet BB8, Chewbacca and Darth Vader. Currently closed
- Disney Junior Dance Party! This new attraction replaced Disney Junior Live in fall 2018. Guests join Doc McStuffins, Vampirina, Timon and Mickey for a high-energy musical celebration. Currently closed
- Voyage of Little Mermaid is a fun musical puppet show. Currently closed
- Walt Disney Presents is a Walt Disney life and achievements exhibition. Great place to get out of the rain and it is very interesting. Various other exhibits have been added to this area in recent times, and it does now feel a bit of a mismatch of multiple themes. Mike & Sully started meeting guests in this area in 2019.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
The opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Hollywood Studios was the most anticipated event of 2019 at Walt Disney World. Initially scheduled for a fall opening, but it was brought forward to August 29.
On opening, guests were able to experience the new attraction Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, plus enjoy the sights and sounds of Black Spire’s Outpost. The 2nd big attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opened on December 5th.
Both big attractions are great fun, but Rise of the Resistance is the must-do attraction for all guests.:
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, guests pilot the Millennium Falcon on a mission. Each guest will take one of 3 critical roles to complete the mission. FastPass+ is now available and there is a Single Rider line.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, guests experience a Star Destroyer’s hangar bay in the middle of a battle between the Resistance and First Order. Guests will even encounter Kylo Ren during their mission. Currently, the only option to ride Rise of the Resistance is to get to join a virtual line, read part 1 of this guide for the latest information.
However, the big 2 attractions are not all there is to see at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. There are plenty of other areas to explore and interact with.
Before visiting, make sure you have downloaded the Play Disney Parks app, which transforms into a datapad when inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The app allows you to further immerse in the Galaxy’s Edge experience.
If you plan to visit Droid Depot, Savi’s Workshop − Handbuilt Lightsabers, and Oga’s Cantina, then a reservation is highly recommended. Walk-ins are not guaranteed, but reservations can be made 60 days in advance on the My Disney Experience App.
Night-time Attractions at Hollywood Studios
Currently not operating, but check My Disney Experience before you visit.
Do not leave Hollywood Studios early as it has some of the best night-time entertainment at Walt Disney World. Besides, Hollywood Studios looks stunning at night.
Make sure you check park schedules to see when the following events will be held:
- Wonderful World of Animation opened on the park’s 20th Anniversary. State of the art projections takes guests through a tour of 90 years of Disney Animation
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular The show is based on the Star Wars film series and features fireworks, projections, lasers, and searchlights. The show was recently updated to include the Rise of Skywalker. The outside of the Chinese Theatre is the venue for this stunning show. Even guests who are not fans of Star Wars will be impressed by this show.
- Fantasmic A voyage through Mickey Mouse’s imagination that culminates in a battle against the Disney Villains. Some small children might find this show a little scary. This spectacular show includes fireworks, characters, water effects, lasers, music, boat floats, and mist screen projections. In our opinion don’t miss it!
Dining at Hollywood Studios
Please see Part 1 of this guide for the latest information
Hollywood Studios has some of the most innovative restaurants in Walt Disney World. There are currently 5 Table Service Locations:
- Mama Melrose’s Italian Ristorante is a great Italian diner that serves some really tasty food.
- 50’s Prime Time Café fantastic fun but don’t put elbows on the table. There are various rules you must follow as Mom cooks dinner. One of the most original restaurants in Walt Disney World.
- Hollywood and Vine is a character buffet that is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. At breakfast, you are joined by the stars of Disney Junior including Doc McStuffins. For lunch & dinner, Minnie and her pals are your hosts for a seasonal meal.
- Sci-Fi Dine-In featuring a 50’s style drive-in
theater. Most guests are seated in mock cars within which you dine as you watch Sci-Fi movies.
- The Hollywood Brown Derby is in an authentic replica of the famous Brown Derby. This is an incredibly popular signature location. There
isalso a popular lounge bar and terrace attached, which does not require advance booking.
A new Table Service has been announced to be coming soon to Toy Story Land. Roundup Rodeo BBQ Restaurant will be opening in 2020. opening has been delayed
Also, there are several excellent quick-service and snack locations. Many of these locations allow you to order your meal in advance via mobile ordering. For something special make sure you visit the dining options at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
Disney’s Advanced Dining Reservations are restaurant reservations made in advance at the majority of Disney Table Service Restaurants. All restaurants at Hollywood Studios do fill up and standby lines, if they exist, can be lengthy. Make sure you plan well in advance, especially if you have booked the Disney Dining Plan.
All restaurants at Hollywood Studios are well equipped to deal with the most common food allergies. Our Guide to Dining with Allergies & Food Intolerances has further information.
Coming To Hollywood Studios News & Rumours
A lot has happened at Hollywood Studios in recent years. Disney has announced that “Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway is a crowning achievement in this transformation”. However, we expect there will be some further updates coming to shows over the next few years.
At Modern Life is Good we try and keep you up to date with all the latest news & rumors from Walt Disney World including Hollywood Studios. Visit our Walt Disney World News Section for all the latest information on Hollywood Studios.
Read More Walt Disney World Tips
To learn more about Walt Disney World visit our 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World.
This Guide is part of our “Road to 2021 at Walt Disney World” series. Check out the rest of the guides for the latest information.