Our Guide to The Magic Kingdom for Beginners is an essential guide to The Magic Kingdom for first-time visitors & experienced travelers. Find out all you need to know about the Magic Kingdom to help plan a fantastic Disney World Vacation. Our Guide to The Magic Kingdom has been updated with all the latest 2021 information following Walt Disney World’s reopening. The guide includes all the latest news so you can have a great vacation in the Magic Kingdom during 2021.
For 2021 we have split our Guide to the Magic Kingdom into 2 parts:-
- Part 1 Essential information if visiting the Magic Kingdom during the reopening of Walt Disney World. This section of the guide contains all the latest tips & tricks, plus information on differences you will encounter during Walt Disney World’s reopening.
- Part 2 Our regular Guide to the Magic Kingdom. We have left for reference our full Guide to the Magic Kingdom. This section of the guide includes information on all the attractions at the Magic Kingdom. However, not all information is currently relevant, e.g., information on FastPass+. Unless you are familiar with the Magic Kingdom, we recommend reading Part 1 of this guide first. When current restrictions end, we will merge both sections of this guide.
If you want to learn more about Walt Disney World in 2021, visit our 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World.
Essential Information when visiting the Magic Kingdom during 2021
The Magic Kingdom reopened for guests on July 11th, 2020, but guests experienced a very different day from previously. While some services have been slowly reintroduced, there remains a significant number of changes. However, this does not mean you can’t have a great time at the Magic Kingdom. Some of the changes guests will encounter include:
- The Magic Kingdom will be subject to limited capacity.
- You will need to reserve a place to visit the park through the Disney Park Pass reservation system. To access the park your first park each day, you must have a valid ticket and reservation.
- A more limited version of Park Hopping is available after your first park each day.
- FastPass+ is suspended.
- Extra Magic Hours isn’t returning in 2021. In its place, Early Theme Park Entry will be introduced later in 2021.
- All Guests ages two and up, and Cast Members, are required to wear face coverings.
- Temperature screening will occur. Any guest with a 100.4 F or above temperature, including their party, will not be allowed entry.
- Physical distancing and limited contact will be in place throughout the park.
- Playgrounds are closed
- Cashless transactions will be encouraged, including mobile food ordering.
- The majority of experiences and tours have been canceled.
- Fireworks and parades are currently postponed.
One thing that hasn’t changed is the need to plan your vacation, but there are significant changes in how you plan your time at the Magic Kingdom. We will explain the details of these changes further in this guide and how you can still have a fantastic vacation.
Keeping Guests safe at Walt Disney World
At the moment visiting any theme park is not without some degree of risk to your health. Disney has made clear that “By visiting Walt Disney World Resort, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.”
However, there are 3 guiding principles Disney have introduced to keep guests safe:
- Enhanced Cleaning Cleaning procedures are enhanced throughout Walt Disney World Resort.
- Physical Distancing Temporary adjustments are in place to promote physical distancing.
- Reduced Contact Experiences may be modified to reduce contact.
Currently not available at the Magic Kingdom
Several changes are currently in place at the Magic Kingdom. During the reopening period, the following have been suspended:
- Single Rider Lines
- Extra Magic Hours(it has been confirmed that this will not be returning)
- Disney Dining Plan
- Character meet and greets
- Fireworks and parades
- The majority of tours and special experiences
It is possible over the course of 2021 some of these experiences will restart.
New Entry Requirements
Face coverings are now required by all guests aged 2 and over at the Magic Kingdom. The only exception is when actively eating or drinking.
All face coverings should:
- Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
- Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
- Neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings. Costume masks are also not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn
Temperature screening will be required to enter. Guests who record a temperature of 100.4 F or above will not be allowed entry; those in their party will not be permitted entry either.
Disney Park Pass & Park Hopping
Just turning up at the Magic Kingdom is no longer possible. Disney Park Pass was introduced during the reopening of Walt Disney World. Park Pass allowed Disney to strictly control the number of guests entering a park each day. Since the reopening period, the number of guests has gradually increased, but Disney Park Pass remains.
To access a park at Walt Disney World, you need to prebook a reservation through the new Disney Park Pass System. To access any park, guests have to present both their park reservation and a valid park ticket. Guests who do not have either of these will be refused entry.
To learn more about the Disney Park Pass System visit our dedicated guide.
A limited Park Hopping option, has now been introduced. However, your first park entry each day must be confirmed through a Disney Park Pass Reservation. Guests will be able to enter a second park during Park Hopper Hours. Park Hopping Hours are subject to change, but initially, they will be between 2 pm to close at all parks. Park Hopping will be subject to park capacity, and Disney advises you to check My Disney Experience for the latest information.
Visit our Guide to Park Hopping to learn more.
Magic Kingdom Park Hours in 2021
Park hours usually get released around 6 months in advance. However, they often change as you come closer to the actual date! Unfortunately, hours are currently reduced at the Magic Kingdom but have slowly been increasing. Click the link to get all the latest Walt Disney World Park Hours.
Open Attractions at the Magic Kingdom
The Magic Kingdom is continuously changing, and it is almost inevitable there will be some attraction refurbishments & closures whenever you visit. During the reopening of Walt Disney World, you may find more attractions than usual are not open. We expect during 2021 the number of operating attractions will increase. We recommend checking My Disney Experience for the latest information.
Entertainment options at the Magic Kingdom during 2021
To maintain physical distancing, there has been a significant reduction in entertainment offerings at the Magic Kingdom. Any entertainment that causes the gathering of crowds has currently been postponed. Entertainment that has been temporarily suspended at the Magic Kingdom includes:
- Character meet and greets
We expect the entertainment options will increase during 2021, but at the time of writing, the following options are available:
- The Dapper Dans
- Character Cavalcades throughout the day, with Guest-favorite Disney friends appearing along the parade route—which will include:
- The Royal Princess Processional
- Mickey & Friends Cavalcade
- Fantasyland Friends Cavalcade
- A Goofy Cavalcade
- Tinker Bell & the Lost Treasure
Dining at the Magic Kingdom
In 2021 there are some significant changes to Walt Disney World Dining arrangements. Not all restaurants are currently open, and capacity is reduced at many locations. Many guests are struggling to obtain Dining Reservations, and we recommend booking early. Also, we recommend making use of mobile ordering at quick-service locations. The restaurants open do change, and you should check My Disney Experience for the latest information.
We run through all the essential information in our 2021 Guide to Disney World Dining.
Walt Disney World’s 50th Birthday
2021 is Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary. The year was expected to be a year of massive celebrations. However, the current situation has meant some of the celebrations will be more low-key, and the new Tron LighCycle Coaster will not open this year. However, Disney is not going to let the year go unmarked!
The festivities will start on October 1st and will run for 18 months. Disney is calling the 50th birthday celebrations “The World’s Most Magical Celebration.” Details are a little sparse, but Cinderella’s castle will be getting decorated for the occasion. Visit our Guide to the 50th Celebrations to learn more.
Early Theme Park Entry
It has been confirmed that Extra Magic Hours will not be returning to Walt Disney World. In its place, Early Theme Park Entry will be introduced later in 2021. Disney Resort hotel guests and guests of other select hotels will be able to gain 30-minute early entry to any theme park every day. Unlike Extra Magic Hours, this will be at all 4 theme parks.
To gain access to a park, you will still need a Disney Park Pass. Visit our Guide to Early Theme Park Entry to learn more.
My Disney Experience
My Disney Experience is a free online guide to Walt Disney World that allows guests to plan their day at the Magic Kingdom. Through this free service, you can:
- Keep track of your plans & reservations including those of your family & friends.
- Make Dining & Ticket Reservations
- Order in advance your food at select Quick Service Locations
- Access maps, wait times, showtimes, park hours, and a lot more essential information via the app.
Walt Disney World encourages all guests to have downloaded the latest version of My Disney Experience on their mobile device before entering the Magic Kingdom. Also, they recommend having location services, and notifications enabled.
During the Magic Kingdom reopening, My Disney Experience will be providing several new enhancements to promote social distancing and reduced contact.
Our Guide to My Disney Experience provides more information including how to get the App.
2021 Magic Kingdom Tips & Tricks
Planning your visit to the Magic Kingdom is an essential activity although it can initially feel overwhelming for the first-time visitor. We have created numerous guides here on Modern Life is Good, which provides tips on how to plan the perfect Walt Disney World Vacation.
If you are visiting in 2021 you might find the following guides particularly useful:
- 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World
- Our Top 10 Walt Disney World Tips for 2021 & A Few New Ones
- All-New Walt Disney World Mistakes to Avoid in 2021
- Disney World Park Bag What You Really Need
- Guide to Planning a 2021 Vacation
- Our Number One 2021 Walt Disney World Tip
- 2021 Magic Kingdom Hacks
Free Planning Sheets
After your initial research, you will want to start putting down your vacation plans in writing. Our Free Walt Disney World Planners are a great resource that can help create a perfect day at the Magic Kingdom. While the planning process might seem simpler in 2021 there is still plenty to consider.
We have just redesigned these planners for 2021 and they include:-
- A vacation overview
- A Disney World budgeting planning sheet
- A weekly Walt Disney World planning sheet
- Park Pass Reservation planner
- A dining planner
- Daily planners
Make sure you download this free resource.
- To learn more about the Magic Kingdom visit Part 2 of this guide.
- To learn more about Walt Disney World in 2021 visit our Guide to Walt Disney World
Jump Right Into Our Guide to The Magic Kingdom
The following section is our traditional Guide to the Magic Kingdom. This section includes details on the lands and attractions at the Magic Kingdom. As the picture at Walt Disney World is starting to become more apparent, we have removed elements that will no be relevant in the future. Eventually, we will merge the two sections of this guide. However, you should note that not all experiences mentioned in this section are currently available, e.g., FastPass+. When experiences are presently not available, we have indicated this in the guide.
If there is specific information you are looking for these jumps will help you find the information.
- Magic Kingdom Basics the history of the Magic Kingdom and some fascinating facts
- Planning Your Visit to The Magic Kingdom All the Essential Knowledge to have a great vacation including Fastpass+ and Rider Switch. Remember not everything is currently available.
- Useful Information when visiting the Magic Kingdom If you have a question about the Magic Kingdom you will probably find the answer here.
- Top Tips, Mistakes & Must-Do Attractions at The Magic Kingdom Read the first section of this guide for the latest 2021 Tips.
- The Lands at the Magic Kingdom Learn all about the 6 lands on The Magic Kingdom. Information on all attractions and dining options. Plus if you want to go straight to a specific land click these links:
- Main Street, USA
- Liberty Square
- Parades and Entertainment at The Magic Kingdom all about the fantastic parades & shows you can see at The Magic Kingdom Currently, most of these are suspended, but they may return later in 2021.
- Special Events & Festivities at The Magic Kingdom Includes information on Christmas and Halloween parties at The Magic Kingdom. These events have not been confirmed yet for 2021
- Magic Kingdom News & Rumors all the latest news and rumors at The Magic Kingdom
- Read More other Walt Disney World planning tips from Modern Life is Good.
Magic Kingdom Basics
Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney… and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place … a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn together.Roy O. Disney, October 25, 1971
The Magic Kingdom was the very first theme park to open in Walt Disney World on the 1st of October 1971. Today it is the most popular theme park in the World. It often attracts large crowds and has a maximum capacity of 100,000 which is often reached on Major National Holidays.
The park’s icon is the blue & gold turreted Cinderella Castle, which rises 189 feet above the park’s 142 acres. Despite its appearance, there isn’t a single brick in the castle, with the whole structure being made of fiberglass.
Magic Kingdom’s layout and attractions are based on Disneyland Park in Anaheim, California. Although Walt Disney was heavily involved in the planning for Walt Disney World, the Magic Kingdom did not open until after his death.
On opening, there were 23 attractions in The Magic Kingdom, several of which are still open today.
As the World’s Largest Theme Park, The Magic Kingdom has a lot of history and some interesting statistics, e.g. did you know that Prince Charming Regal Carousel was built in 1917? You can find some of our
Planning Your Visit to The Magic Kingdom
To experience the Magic Kingdom, you should spend time planning your experience. The Magic Kingdom is the World’s most popular theme park and arriving without a plan can reduce the enjoyment of your day. It is unlikely you will manage to do all you want in just a 1-day visit.
There are key booking windows to secure dining reservations and make ride reservations. We will guide you through all the essential Magic Kingdom knowledge you need to enjoy your vacation.
Magic Kingdom Park Hours
Park hours are published about 6 months in advance. However, they often get extended as you come closer to the actual date! Click the link to get all the latest Walt Disney World Park Hours.
Refurbishments & Closures
The Magic Kingdom is constantly changing and it almost inevitable there will be some refurbishments & closures whenever you visit. Visit this handy guide to see all the current refurbishments and closures.
FastPass+ at The Magic Kingdom
FastPass is currently not available at the Magic Kingdom
FastPass+ is Disney’s attraction reservation system & allows you to book attractions in advance of your visit. It is essential you understand FastPass+ before your visit and the key booking windows. Failing to make Fastpass+ reservations will mean longer lines and completing fewer attractions.
We have created a guide to Fastpass+ at the Magic Kingdom which includes our top hacks to have a great day.
Are the kids tall enough to ride?
Before planning, attractions make sure everyone who wants to is big enough to ride. Disney enforces height restrictions rigidly, and you will lose FastPass+ reservations
The following height restrictions are enforced at the Magic Kingdom:
- Tomorrowland Speedway 32″ of 54″ to drive
- The Barnstormer 35″
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 38″
- Big Thunder Mountain 40″
- Splash Mountain 40″
- Space Mountain 44″
- Plus if it ever reopens again Stitch’s Great Escape is 40″
However, if the kids are too small to ride, it does not mean adults and older siblings can’t. Rider Switch, also sometimes known as child swap, allows guests with small children to take turns riding while another adult stays with the child. Our Guide to Rider Switch has all the information you need to know.
What about crowds at the Magic Kingdom?
Currently the Disney ParkPass system has made this information inaccurate
No matter when you visit the Magic Kingdom, there will be crowds. However, you can still have a great day in the Magic Kingdom even when it is crowded.
You can read tips & hints in our guide, Avoiding Crowds at Walt Disney World. Plus we have also produced a blog on How We Beat the Crowds at The Magic Kingdom on a capacity day.
Alcohol at the Magic Kingdom
Traditionally alcohol was forbidden in the Magic Kingdom. In 2012 Be Our Guest became the first venue in the Magic Kingdom to sell alcohol but all other restaurants remained dry.
Recently other table service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom have started to sell a small quantity of alcohol.
Dining at The Magic Kingdom
During the reopening period this information is inaccurate. Visit the 2021 section of this guide for the latest information.
While it might be the busiest and possibly best theme park in the World, The Magic Kingdom is not known for its outstanding culinary options. In our opinion, The Magic Kingdom probably offers the worse choice of dining options at all 4 Walt Disney World parks. While you will not go hungry, it is unlikely you will experience a sensational meal.
There is a selection of quick service, table service & signature locations at the Magic Kingdom. There are also various food carts serving a wide range of snacks. Table Service locations at the Magic Kingdom fill up fast & you should arrange an Advanced Dining Reservation prior to your visit.
The Disney Dining Plan is accepted throughout the Magic Kingdom & all venues cater for allergies.
To learn more about Dining at Disney World visit our guide.
Meeting Characters at The Magic Kingdom
There currently are no character greetings available at the Magic Kingdom
Many of us will spend time while in the Magic Kingdom meeting characters & those with children are likely to spend considerable time doing so.
The Magic Kingdom is home to many of the classic Disney Characters. In the Magic Kingdom, you are likely to meet Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Aladdin, Tinkerbell, Ariel, Cinderella & many more. Meet, and greets do vary throughout the year, and rare characters appear at both Halloween & Christmas parties.
Information on what characters are meeting is available on the My Disney Experience App. Remember, if you don’t want to spend time waiting for characters, there are other ways to see many of your favorites, including watching parades. Also, FastPass+ is available for some characters.
Our How To Find Characters in Walt Disney World Guide has further information including top character spotting tips.
Character Meals at The Magic Kingdom
These locations are currently not offering character meals.
In the Magic Kingdom, there are 2 Character Meals which offer a great opportunity to meet your idols:
- Crystal Palace buffet meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends.
- Cinderella’s Royal Table set upstairs inside Cinderella Castle. Characters do vary but you can expect to meet Cinderella, Ariel, Aurora & Snow White.
In addition, although not strictly a character meal, the Beast meets guests after dinner at Be Our Guest.
Our Guide to Character Meals at Walt Disney World has further information.
Useful Information when visiting the Magic Kingdom
Sometimes it is difficult to find the answers to all your questions before visiting the Magic Kingdom. We have created a new section on Modern Life Is Good which answers many of these questions about the Magic Kingdom.
If you have a specific Magic Kingdom question the links will take you straight to the advice:
- Guest Relations at The Magic Kingdom
- Available to Hire at The Magic Kingdom
- Disabilities at The Magic Kingdom
- Accessing the Internet
- Lost & Found at the Magic Kingdom
- Smoking at the Magic Kingdom
- Charging your Mobile Phone at the Magic Kingdom
- Baby Care Center at The Magic Kingdom
- Locker Hire at The Magic Kingdom
- Payment for Goods & ATMs at The Magic Kingdom
- Pregnant at the Magic Kingdom
- What you should pack in your Park Bag
- Magic Kingdom Tours
- Translation Services at the Magic Kingdom
In addition, you might find our Walt Disney World Useful Information Guide, which has been updated for 2021, has the answer if it isn’t here.
Top Tips, Mistakes & Must-Do Attractions at The Magic Kingdom
Many of these guides currently carry out-of-date information. Please read the 2021 section for the latest planning tips.
Anybody who has ever visited The Magic Kingdom will have a list of Tips & Tricks for a future visit. Here is a selection of ours which we have learned on previous visits.
The TopMagic Kingdom Hacks for 2020
- Our Magic Kingdom Mistakes to avoid when on vacation
- Our Magic Kingdom Must-Do Attractions
- If time is tight these are attractions we would consider skipping
- We have recently considered what we love and what we hate at the Magic Kingdom
The Lands at The Magic Kingdom
The Magic Kingdom is split into 6 themed lands. Previously there was a 7th land called Mickey’s Toontown Fair which merged into New Fantasyland during 2012 expansions.
The Walt Disney World Railroad circles around the entire 1.5-mile perimeter of the park and will make stops at Main Street, Frontierland, and Fantasyland. Currently, the Walt Disney World Railroad is closed due to construction work on the new Tron Coaster. There is no confirmation of when the attraction will reopen.
Please note that currently not all attractions are open. Check My Disney Experience for the latest information.
Main Street, USA
Main Street USA is the first land you enter once heading through the gates of the Magic Kingdom. It is based on an early 20th-century small American town. The street is lined with shops selling merchandise and food. Most guest service facilities are located on Main Street.
There are various characters that you can meet on Main Street, but the most famous are Mickey Mouse and Tinkerbell, which are found in the Town Square Theater.
On occasions, period transportation is available to take guests along Main Street to the Central Plaza. Main Street forms part of the parade route at The Magic Kingdom. The circular area around Central Plaza is one of the most popular spots to watch parades and fireworks. The Central Plaza spokes out to the other lands of The Magic Kingdom.
The following dining locations are on Main Street
- Casey’s Corner serving hot dogs and fries.
- Crystal Palace has a character buffet with Winnie the Pooh & Friends which serves breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Main Street Bakery featuring Starbucks Coffee
- Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
- Plaza Restaurant table service sandwiches. Perhaps one of the worse value locations on the Disney Dining Plan
- Tony’s Town Square Restaurant, seems to be universally disliked but actually I quite like it.
Frontierland is the home to the American Old West of the 19th century. It forms part of the parade route, and often quieter spots are found here to watch, compared to Main Street USA.
The Current attractions in Frontierland are
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad a mine-train wild roller coaster. Very popular attraction. Get a FastPass to avoid long waits. Make sure you ride it in the dark when it becomes a sensational dark ride.
- Country Bear Jamboree a stage show with audio-animatronic figures. A sort of Disney Classic but really only serves as a place to get out the heat or have a mid-afternoon nap.
- Splash Mountain a classic log flume ride based on Song of the South & 1 of the best water rides in Orlando. Another for FastPass or expect very long waits.
- Tom Sawyer Island You take a journey by log raft to embark on a self-guided expedition into the heart of early America.
- Walt Disney World Railroad
Restaurant and refreshment stops at Frontierland include:
- Diamond Horseshoe open seasonally as a table service buffet. Food includes BBQ pulled pork, sliced turkey, country smoked sausage or carved beef brisket.
- Golden Oak Outpost chicken nuggets
- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn & Café Mexican inspired counter service
- Westward Ho
- Aunt Polly’s Dockside Inn food stand located on Tom Sawyer Island
Themed after colonial America, Liberty Square is found in no other Disneyland Theme Park. Replicas of both the Liberty Bell and Liberty Tree are located in Liberty Square. Liberty Square is the smallest land in the Magic Kingdom.
Liberty Square is the only land in the Magic Kingdom not to have had a major refurbishment since the park opened. All the opening-day attractions still exist in Liberty Square.
Current attractions are
- The Hall of Presidents a stage presentation of all the presidents in Audio-Animatronic form. Recently reopened with President Trump.
- Haunted Mansion classic Haunted House ride. Do not think this is the same type of haunted house you get at a traveling fair. The attraction is very impressive and should not be missed.
- Liberty Square Riverboat we recently sailed on this again after many years. It is a great way to spend a relaxing half-hour! We recommend you take a little time-out and ride the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- The Muppets Present…Great Moments in American History made an unexpected reopening for Christmas 2019 but isn’t expected to reopen again.
The following dining locations are located in Liberty Square
- Columbia Harbour House serving fish and chicken. In our opinion, this is one of the best quick-service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom.
- Liberty Tree Tavern family-style Thanksgiving-themed meal. Plenty of food but not necessarily the best quality in Walt Disney World.
- Sleepy Hollow
Part tropical island, part jungle Adventureland, takes us back to dreamt adventures of the past. It is divided into two sub-areas the Arabian Village and the Caribbean Plaza.
Current attractions are:
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room another Disney Classic which offers an excuse to escape the heat. The attraction was originally featured in Disneyland and was an opening day attraction at Walt Disney World.
- Jungle Cruise is a commentated (mildly) humorous riverboat ride past audio-animatronic animals. A Disney classic attraction that is very popular and needs a FastPass when the park is busy. Perhaps surprisingly this ride is better in the dark.
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin similar to Dumbo but you ride a carpet & might get wet. Usually does not require a Fastpass.
- Pirates of the Caribbean the ride the film is based on is now based on the film!…. Confused? Jack wasn’t in the original attraction he is now. The attraction has gone through various modifications over the years the latest being in March 2018 with the introduction of Redhead Pirate.
- Swiss Family Treehouse climbing and exploring. Kids love this and it is very clever. A really good option when the park is crowded.
Dining options include
- Aloha Isle Refreshments serving the legendary Dole Whips.
- Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen based on the Jungle Cruise this new restaurant is becoming a Modern Life is Good Favorite.
- Sunshine Tree Terrace serving citrus swirl
- Tortuga Tavern
If one land signifies what people think of when they think Walt Disney World it is likely it is Fantasyland.
The area went through a massive expansion between 2012 and 2014, including the addition of new attractions. In the past, many visitors to Fantasyland may have left a little disappointed, but now it reaches the levels of dreams.
- Ariel’s Grotto is a meet & greet with Ariel as a Mermaid. We often wonder how kids don’t seem confused by the various presentation of Ariel!
- Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid a new dark ride, built during the expansion, which is becoming a firm favorite. Perhaps the best dark ride in Disney World.
- Enchanted Tales with Belle guest participation and tales with Belle. Not a personal Favourite but kids do enjoy it. This one does get very busy & Fastpass often runs out.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a great little roller coaster with realistic audio-animatronics. Get a FastPass or be ready for a very long wait, this is the most popular attraction in the park.
- Mad Hatters Tea Party classical waltzer type ride. You will find the Alice and Mad hatter often ride the last ride of the day!
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a dark ride which some small children might find a little frightening. However, most guests will find it harmless bouncy fun.
- The Barnstormer is a short children’s roller coaster. It is a great introduction to coasters for small children, but it is quicker than you expect.
- Casey Jr, Splash ‘N’ Soak Station a fun wet zone for younger children.
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant now with 2 carousels. Waits are much less than in the past. Is this ride the ultimate Walt Disney World Classic?
- Pete’s Silly Sideshow allows you to meet popular Disney Characters. Characters from October 2019 are Daisy, Minnie, Goofy & Donald.
- Walt Disney World Railroad joins the fantastic railroad in Fantasyland.
- It’s a Small World the annoying tune that will not leave your head but still a Disney classic. The first incarnation of It’s a Small World debuted at the 1964 New York World’s Fair.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic 4D movie. This is a great movie but it is blurry. Having recently visited the Disneyland Paris Version…this version needs updating!
- Peter Pan’s Flight very popular dark ride which attracts very long waits. Get a Fastpass.
- Prince Charming Regal Carrousel is a classic beautiful carousel.
- Princess Fairytale Hall
your opportunity to meeta Disney Princess or 2.
Dining in Fantasyland the Magic Kingdom
Dining and refreshment options in Fantasyland include:
- Be Our Guest Restaurant quick service for lunch and breakfast. A signature table service for dinner. Guests still have the opportunity to meet Beast after dinner. However, we think breakfast is the best.
- Cheshire Café
- Cinderella’s Royal Table a signature Character meal.
- Friar’s Nook chicken nuggets & hotdogs
- Gaston’s Tavern
- Pinocchio Village Haus chicken parmesan sandwich, flatbread pizzas, and pasta dishes
- Prince Eric’s Village Market
- Storybook Treats Brilliant treats here!
- Big Top Souvenirs My favorite treats at Walt Disney World
Tomorrowland is a 1950s vision of the future. Today that vision of the future looks rather odd, but Tomorrowland still has some interesting attractions. However; if time is tight you may find the attractions in Tomorrowland are the least appealing in the park.
- Astro Orbiter a shuttle faster version of Dumbo.
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin popular ride with all Space Cadets but unfortunately not with me. Get ready to blast your guns.
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor interactive cartoon comedy. Very clever this attraction & rarely attracts a lengthy wait.
- Space Mountain is a classic dark roller coaster. It is pretty fast. It attracts very long waits. Get a Fastpass!
- Tomorrowland Speedway ride race-cars. Despite its age, it is still a fun experience. The track has recently been shortened to make way for the new Tron Coaster.
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover train ride above Tomorrowland. See Walt Disney’s original vision for Epcot as you ride this attraction.
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress includes a catchy theme tune, a look back at 20th-century history and Walt Disney designed the attraction himself. What is there not to like? Plus it is cool when it is hot outside.
Dining and refreshment options at Tomorrowland are
- Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies
- Cool Ship
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café is perhaps the worse place to eat in the whole of Walt Disney World. It really is awful!
- The Lunching Pad at Rockettower Plaza
- Tomorrowland Terrace Cafe is a seasonal restaurant & if open the park is busy. It is also the venue for the Magic Kingdom Dessert Parties.
Parades and Entertainment at The Magic Kingdom
For current entertainment available in the Magic Kingdom, please read the 2021 section of this guide. The majority of these experiences are currently not available.
What makes the Magic Kingdom stand out compared to your average theme park is the number of additional shows and acts you might see.
The entertainment starts each morning at the Magic Kingdom with the Let the Magic Begin welcome show which features Mickey and the Gang.
Main Street USA is always a hive of activities, and you may encounter various entertainment during your visit. There are regular shows on the Castle Stage. Currently, the show is Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire.
Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party occurs several times a day down Main Street. Characters include Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, Max, Pluto, Chip
The current Main Street parade is Festival of Fantasy and is usually at 3 pm. Festival of Fantasy is a beautiful parade and should not be missed. Characters do occasionally change, but you may see up to 40 of your favorites in the parade. Familiar characters include Mickey, Minnie, Anna, Elsa, Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, The Seven Dwarves, Tinker Bell, Peter Pan, and Jiminy Cricket.
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a free interactive scavenger hunt. Stop by the Firehouse on Main Street, U.S.A. to sign up and receive your Sorcerer Key Card, Merlin’s mystical map and spell cards.
A Pirate’s Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas is an interactive treasure hunt throughout Adventureland. You can collect details of how to participate in the Crows Nest.
Happily Ever After was the new fireworks show for 2017 replacing Wishes. This new show is the most spectacular in Magic Kingdom history and is incredibly popular. Make sure you check the My Disney Experience App for showtime, it does not run every night!
Once Upon a Time is a nighttime spectacular that brings Cinderella’s Castle to life with projections of beloved Disney scenes and characters. Presented by Mrs Potts. Make sure you check the My Disney Experience App for showtime, it does not run every night!
Special Events & Festivities at The Magic Kingdom
Usually, there are regular Special Events & Festivities at The Magic Kingdom. However, since the park reopened, all these events have been canceled. However, we expect Halloween and Christmas Parties will occur in 2021.
Disney After Hours at the Magic Kingdom
Disney After Hours runs throughout the year. These hard-ticket events, which are not cheap, allow you to experience the park for 3 hours after regular closure. You are promised little-to-no wait for attractions, unique experiences, and character greetings. Ice cream, popcorn, and select beverages are also included in your admission. During the summer there will be been a special Disney Villans After Hours.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is an annual event with limited tickets, special entertainment including fireworks, rare characters and spooky overlays of certain attractions. Unlike, Hollywood Horror Nights at Universal Orlando this is a family party.
Christmas at The Magic Kingdom
The Magic Kingdom is transformed at Christmas with spectacular decorations and 2020 will be no different. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is a hard ticket annual event held on Select Nights between November and December.
Highlights of the party include fireworks, Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, snowfall on Main Street, exclusive entertainment & characters, and unlimited cookies & hot chocolate.
News & Rumors The Magic Kingdom
The world’s busiest theme park never stays still for long. Back in 2012, we welcomed New Fantasyland. Expect several announcements throughout the year as we come closer to the park’s 50th anniversary in 2021. These announcements will likely depend on the need to continue social distancing.
The most significant new attraction is coming to Tomorrowland. Tron Lightcycle Run is based on a similar attraction at Shanghai Disneyland. This coaster-style attraction will allow riders to board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles for a thrilling race through the digital frontier. The attraction was initially scheduled to open in 2021 but seems likely to be now 2022 or even 2023.
At Modern Life is Good we try and keep you up to date with all the latest news from Walt Disney World including the Magic Kingdom. Visit our Walt Disney World News Section for all the latest information on The Magic Kingdom.
Read More Walt Disney World Tips
To learn more about Walt Disney World visit our 2021 Guide to Walt Disney World.
This Guide is part of our “Road to 2021 at Walt Disney World” series. Check out the rest of the guides for the latest information.
Leave a Reply