Internet access tonight is a lot more doom than Voom…. I will add a few extra photos later.
We are currently sailing towards Barbados which gave the unique opportunity as we got ready for dinner tonight to play Barbados the 1975 U.K. Number 1 by one hit wonders Typically Tropical. If you have never heard the song you should check it out. Today however we visited Dominica.
Dominica is a very beautiful island covered in virgin rainforest. When you think about the Caribbean Dominica is probably what you think about.
Our excursion today was a city tour and a visit to both the Botannical Gardens & Emerald Pool. Our guide, Dr. Phil, was fantastic and full of useful information and the odd humorous story.
Phil told us about the genetically modified bananas Dominica had developed which were crossed with Marijuana. They are called Happy Bananas and are traded with the Dutch for cheese. I had my doubts about the validity of the story but my fellow cruisers seemed more convinced. However following one guest asking where the border to Haiti was & whether they had time to visit Labadee in the afternoon I am not so sure.
What I have learnt today:
- Dominica is a beautiful island which I want to visit again.
- The population of Dominica is just under 75000 of which 4 are over 100 years old.
- Late night deck parties are not as good as they used to be & the is no food.
- The is a shortage of chocolate milk! None for breakfast the last 2 days. I asked a waiter and he said they had none. However; I saw some later in the day getting carried by another waiter. Where is this secret supply?
What I have still to learn:
- I need to find out if the really are Happy Bananas.
- Chocolate Milk where is it? Is the a shortage on the ship? How will we cope?
- I’m still confused where guests are. Tonight we went to the Safari Club which was fairly empty, Schooners was quiet, nobody was in the Pit Stop or Vintages. However; once the band played the 2nd National Anthem of the US i.e. Sweet Caroline hoardes appeared. Incidentally where did the shouting of “So good” 3 times come from?
Tomorrow it is Barbados and a beach hop so hopefully more fun in the sun.